Wednesday 24 June 2015

Cream Tea @Bills in Berkhamsted




163-165 High Street
Berkhamsted
HP4 3HB
http://bills-website.co.uk/restaurants/berkhamsted/   


Cream Tea at Bill’s is advertised with cakes and warm fruit scones, served with Bill’s strawberry jam and Cornish clotted cream, served with a large pot of tea of your choice (7.95) or glass of Bill’s champagne (10.95)
Because there was no sandwiches this wasn’t technically an afternoon tea , but it was afternoon and there were scones so we feel it counted ! 
First thing that impressed us was the restaurant itself – I’ve been to a few Bills around but not this one – in fact last time I was in this building it was a fish restaurant but it was all different - all wood panelled and quirky , with lots of little nooks and crannies and some very splendid chandeliers and an appealing looking outside terrace. 



It was pouring with rain the day we went – would have been lovely to sit outside. The staff were also polite and helpful (and made me feel very old – they were all so YOUNG !! ) showing us to our table and offering us the choice of champagne or tea as soon as we sat.  We decided in the interests of research it should be both of course.




Then they brought our tray – well to be honest I doubt I could have eaten any sandwiches the cake selection was so generous ! The scones were warm and huge, fluffy on the inside, crispy on the outside with lavish helpings of cream and jam.  Then we had to tackle the cakes which were no less than four varieties to experience each – a strawberry tart, carrot cake with vanilla frosting, chocolate Brownie and a marshmallow creation.  All were delicious, but I especially loved the marshmallow one as it was a bit different and lovely and light.




Our tea came in a trendy old battered tin tea pot which kept it beautifully hot.


We also loved the music they were playing the afternoon we went –  it was like the soundtrack to our youth, late seventies/ early eighties soul and funk tunes that had us shazaming away, singing  along and chair bopping . We should point out that we were the only people in that section of the restaurant !!!

We thoroughly enjoyed our tea and it's astonishing value when you think what you pay in, for example, a coffee shop chain for a coffee and a cake, at £7.95 each (without the champers) it really is remarkable.


I also spied some delicious summer cocktails that are luring me back to try over the summer holidays when I have more time and can find a driver ....


Great job Bill's !  

Now how about throwing in a few sandwiches or savoury items and I’m your slave ……????? 

23 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed these too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like your blog about your cream teas and all your pictures just make me feel so hungry, and want to eat them myself... and all your little comments below your photos are very interesting and so cool, I think anyone would enjoy seeing your blogs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's very kind . Recently I have been on a diet so it's been hard to go for so many afternoon teas but I have been to a few so I will be uploading more pictures soon . Thankyou for reading and do let me know when you write your blogs !

      Delete
  3. I love the theme of this cream tea its artistic and beautiful I also love the other cream teas they are making me so hungry and they look really yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hi Mary you have been teaching in my school sometimes about scratch I really liked the pictures of your cakes they made me REALLY HUNGRY some of them looked nice but some them are not my type though I wont mind tasting them at some point what rating would you giver the chocolate and the peach creamy one out of ten it has been nice talking to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you the cakes were a little bit sickly and I liked the scones best !

      Delete
  5. I loved the look of the scones and cakes (they are making me feel hungry!). What rating would you give Bills because I would love to go there? If you could go to it again and if you could go any of the places again where would you go?

    ReplyDelete
  6. the cakes make me feel hungry!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Mary you have been teaching in my school about scratch. I liked the look of some of the pictures but my favourite was probably the chocolate brownie with marshmallow creation how would you rate it out of ten?

    ReplyDelete
  8. You make the cakes sound so nice I can almost taste them from here, all of them look so good, I can't think which one is nicest!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Mary, I really liked the sound of your snowstorm drink it looks amazing! I would also really like it if you could rate it out of 10.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Can you find out the recipe to all of the cakes macaroons and drinks so my mum can make them for me to eat

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Mary, I love how you make these cakes sound so good. I want to know what place is the best to go to get a treat, and what would you recommend on the menu. what would you rate the restaurant out of ten? I would like to know. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so hard to choose as it depends on my mood which is my favourite ! I like your idea of marking out of 10 though - maybe I could do it by category ? Food - restaurant - service - scone quality ?

      Delete
  12. I love the look of your sconces that were fluffy on the inside crispy on the outside what do you rate them out of ten?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Mary! "The Snowstorm" (Coconut cream, mint macaroon, candy floss) looks so good. So do the scones and cake. Please rate it from 0-10.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Mary all those scones and cakes make me feel hungry I also like the look of the tea there. I also wish I was there to try it all, I like your blog and keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi, Mary I really like the snow storm drink and the snowman cakes I will hopefully persuade my parents to help me make these tasty looking treats!

    ReplyDelete
  16. hi Mary, I love the way that all of the cakes look especially the candy floss drink. If you could pick you best cake and rate it what would it be and how would you rate it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Mary I loved the look of that tea it looks very sweet. I also love your scones they look so tasty its making me very Hungary.

    ReplyDelete
  18. wow they are so nice

    ReplyDelete
  19. They look amazing! and there making me feel hungary

    ReplyDelete